Friday, February 15, 2008

Changes

I really don't have the time to write or reflect at the present time but my mind keeps wandering off while I try to do more important (and much more boring) things. Sometimes I reflect on past decisions or lack thereof and I think about all of the things that I could have done better or just differently. I think that's why I'm so hard on my little sister at times. I've made it a mission to try A LOT of things, some favorable some not, and I really want her to have the luxury of not having to learn from the same mistakes as I did. I'm learning that this is probably impossible. If you have a sibling you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel like my mistakes mean nothing at all. But I'm starting to realize that they do mean something to someone and most of the time it has turned out to be me. I mean, my sister listens as much as a little sister living her own life can, but she's got to do her and honestly, I respect that. And truthfully, I'm really the one that needs to learn from my mistakes b/c it's my life. So, I guess I've learned that while my mistakes are valuable teaching tools, they are ultimately for me to learn from and if anyone else benefits then it's purely a bonus. It's still really hard when you love someone a whole lot and you see them taking a well travelled path that didn't end particularly well for you, but I guess that's how parents feel all the time. Thankfully, my mom sits back quietly as my sister and I continue to live our own lives. She only interjects when necessary or when asked and I love her for it. Well, since I've gone over my 6 minute typing allotment I have to go, but please hug your parent or parents. They're just people doing the best that they can.

No comments: