Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's My Prerogative

And as the great Negro poet Bobby Brown famously stated, "I can do what I wanna do." So I did and changed the name of my blog. The new name is actually courtesy of Q b/c she couldn't remember what it was really called. I found Sweet Peaches to be hilarious and more to the point so here we are. Speaking of prerogatives, JYR sent me a text today asking for the 10 best rappers alive. I couldn't answer mainly b/c my phone is some straight bulls&*t and I didn't have 10 right off hand. I will say that I'm glad that she said "alive" b/c that frees up at least two good spots. I know alot of people won't necessarily agree with my list, and I kindly ask them to refer to the title of this entry. So without further ado:

The 10 Best Rappers Alive

1. Rakim
Self-explanatory. He's the best.
2. Lil Wayne
Honestly, he's technically #1. Rakim shouldn't even be on this list b/c he's not really mortal. That being said, Lil Wayne could be top cop for his performance at the VMA's alone. He filled in for Tip and it wasn't even a disappointment. Weezy has wit for days and even when he trips he brings his A game.
3. Nas
No one can paint a better picture while simultaneously challenging your mind.
4. Andre 3000
So underrated, yet so great. For being able to flip from Southernplayalistic to The Love Below to Walk It Out Remix. For being missed and always being worth the wait when he returns.
5. MC Lyte-
The Queen. If you don't know, you should really ask somebody. Cha Cha Cha, Cappuccino, Paper Thin and the list goes on. She has not been dethroned in my book.
6. Jay Z
Because I'm not a hater and 99 Problems is my shit in a ridiculous way. Besides, no one can front on how sick his catalog is.
7. Scarface
From his verse on "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" to "MaryJane" to his verse on "This Can't Be Life" 'Face always brings it.
8. Tip
Trap Muzik is such a complete album from start to finish. It really gives you a look into Tip the person and the artist.
9. Ludacris
Severely underrated, witty and hilarious.
10. Tie
Busta Rhymes
For being consistent for 500 years.
Method Man
For being able to stand out in the 400 piece unit of Wu-Tang. For being the best hookman the game has heard. Imagine "Ice Cream" without Meth on the hook? You can't can you? I mean, he doesn't even have a verse and still brings it home. For "Bring the Pain" and of course for "All I Need" with Mary.

Choices are based on lyrics, wit, flow, choice of beats/production, consistency and pure heart. Your mileage may vary.

No comments: