Saturday, September 08, 2007

Pontificating with Phonte

What's good with ya? I've been slowly trying to recoup from my bday extravaganza. The funny thing is that I did not get crazy drunk, loud or stupid. I was mild. I was even more mild for Labor Day weekend. To sum it up, I was lame. It's cool though b/c the fool is going to be had. Wait til I get my money right. You know the rest. It's Saturday and it feels like Sunday. I haven't done shit. I haven't been to the gym but I did go to a great Jamaican restaurant and talked to somebody about coloring my hair. It's time for a change. I was on some website today and it linked to a blog post from Phonte's (of Little Brother-NC's finest) myspace page. Straight hilarity. I have posted it for your viewing pleasure. Have a great Saturday.

June 6, 2007 - Wednesday


Lord let me finish this damn album..(The Tigallo Update)

"There's always light at the end of tunnel," so goes the saying. Right now I feel like the opposite is true: I'm seeing a tunnel at the end of all these lights...Jesus, keep me near the cross.....

*deep sigh*

In le midst of finishing le album right now (single drops in a week or so, album in Sept), but I figured I'd drop in a for a quick minute and fill y'all in on a few things that's been keepin me sane throughout the arduous Getback recording process:

1. R. Kelly- 'Double Up'
Just when you think the Kaing of R&B can't get any more niggerish, he gives us a gem like 'Real Talk' (track 10 for all my bootleg niggas). Name anybody else in history who could sing the 'lyrics': "Did she say there were other guys there......DID SHE SAY THERE WERE OTHER GUYS THEEEEEEEERE?!!?!?!" along with "IS YOU TWEAKIN?!" I'm convinced this nigga is certifiably insane....there's just no other explanation for his genius.

2. Chic-Fil-A
I came up on a free meal in they drive-thew today because I was the 400th customer. Eat mor chikn!

3. T-Pain
I posted this on okayplayer earlier, but I'm reposting it so the world hears me....it's time for cats to stop frontin. I done seen people call my nigga Thurgood Pain everything but a child of God, and I can't take it no mo.

Allow me to discuss his finer points and try to explain his appeal:

When Theodore Pain first arrived on the scene with his debut 'Rappa Ternt Sanga,' I admit that I balked a little bit at the sheer niggerdom of the title alone. But one listen to "I'm Sprung" and all was forgiven. It was a simple, breezy R&B joint where our protagonist Talladega Pain sung about being infatuated with someone and doing things to accomodate them (washing the dishes, etc). We've all been there, and we all could relate.

In retrospect, 'I'm Sprung' almost serves as a manifesto for everything that Teddy Pain's music stands for: Music for the TRULY average nigga. The regular cat. The dude that girls call 'ugly.' Whereas Robert Sylvester Kelly (brilliantly described by my man Nabi as Poet Laureate of the Lowest Common Denominator Nigger Experience) spends most of his time singing about the lavish life of a baller, my nigga Thaddeus Pain instead comes from a much more humble place.

Just listen to "I'm In Love With A Stripper" as he describes the everyman experience of going to a strip club and being enraptured with a woman's body. Or the new classic "Buy You A Draink," where he makes an unbelievably catchy song out of a univeral pickup line. Or even "Bartender," Thelonious Pain's light-hearted take on breaking up with your girl, going to the club, and kicking it to the bartender cause she's cute, nice, and showing you love.

You may hate on my nigga Theodis Pain. You may think of his music as coonish. But you CANNOT front on him. With his universal appeal and knack for writing good melodies, I wouldn't be surprised if he crossed over to the Latin market as Telemundo Pain. He's that good.

Stop the hate.

*bumps Epiphany*

4. Alexyss Tylor a.k.a. the PEANUS POWER lady
Just when me and Khrysis are down to the last Red Bull in the studio and are ready to call it quits, we hit up youtube for a good dose of 'DICKA MAKE YA SLAP SOMEBODY' and all is well again. I'mma hit her up on myspace and try to get her out to our Atlanta show. Ms. Tylor if you read this and would like to come out, I got a draink and a Getback tee waiting for you. You tell the hard truths that many females don't wanna hear....props to you...

5. Tariq 'Kaing Flex' Nasheed
If you've never listened to this nigga's podcast, you are truly missing out on one of life's free treasures. He's like the male version of the peanus power lady. If you subtracted the time me and Pooh spent fuckin around in the studio laughin at this nigga's show, Getback woulda been done a year ago...lol

6. The UGK feat. Outkast and 3-6 "International Players Anthem" video:
A great song, a great storyline, and the best video cameos since "One More Chance." (Again, peep my nigga Teofilo Pain as the kwai' director..) Seriously, if you hate on this video you prolly need to get some pussy. Classic shit....

7. Donnie- "The Daily News" LP
This doesn't drop until 6/19 in the States, but I beg all of you to PLEASE support this album. I been bumpin this shit since last year. Dude is one of the bravest artists I know, and is probably the only singer I know whose catalog DOESN'T consist of 90% love songs. The strange thing is that his dark subject matter (suicide, child abuse, media conditioning, the hypocrisy of the 'drug war'), somehow makes for the most joyous, feel-good shit ever...lol My collaboration with him, "Over The Counter Culture," is in our player now for a limited time. Give it a listen, and then head on over to www.myspace.com/donniemusic and shout him out a holler, dun (c) Ben Stiller

That's all for now. Gotta run cause Milton is outside warming up the car so me and wifey can go cupcaaaaaaaaaking, girl....(c) J-Nash

Getback is on the way!

Peace,
Tigallo
The Cupcake Prince of the Triangle

No comments: