Tuesday, October 09, 2007

American History



Can I tell you how amped I am to see this movie?! When "Heart of the City" starts playing, I seriously get chills. Today, I read an article about the real Frank Lucas. Truth be told, I find his story to be incredibly fascinating. And before all the righteous start to judge, let me briefly explain myself. I know that crime is "wrong" and "bad" and "reprehensible" and many other strongly used adjectives. To be quite honest, I'm not really impressed with the physical criminal aspects of what he did. I'm more impressed by the strategy behind the crimes. Again, I am well aware that crime is not the business, but you can't deny that this was or is (b/c he's still alive) a very intelligent man. I'm impressed and disappointed by his intelligence. Just as Chris Brown is ADHD gone right, Frank Lucas is intelligence and common sense gone wrong. It's really sad because now he's old and broke and has this legacy that won't get him anything but the wrong kind of respect. This is a man, if given the opportunity or if he had the will to make legitmate opportunities could have been a positive force. But he chose otherwise. I know it's not as cut and dry or black and white, but it's a pretty close summary. It's hard to be upstanding. It's hard not to take fast, large sums of money. But I'm thinking it's really hard not to be able to sleep at night. And I really like to sleep. Your mileage may vary. He did have the right attitude though about this being his country and not going anywhere. I totally agree. I'm here America and I'm not leaving. Deal with me. The article is good though and the movie will definitely be hot. Moral confusion aside, I still can't wait.

No comments: