Monday, October 01, 2007

Keeping It Real Gone Wrong

I was flipping through channels last night and caught about 3 minutes of "America vs. Hip Hop" and that's really all I needed to see to realize that show wasn't going to clear up anything for anyone. The host was yelling over the panel. The panel was yelling over the panel. It was a mess. Now granted, I didn't watch enough to see if a resolution or realization was reached, but my common sense guess is that neither occured and there are several reasons why.
1. The guests (Nelly & T.I.) felt attacked. That's why there was so much yelling.
2. The guests didn't understand exactly what they were being accused of, and as a result they were very defensive.
3. The explainations of why they were singled out and accused were done while the guests were trying to defend themselves.
All in all, a real crazy experience to view. And I only saw about 3 minutes of this.

In the future, I would like to suggest a few things.
a) It's really difficult to understand that a certain behavior is derogatory when women continue to willingly participate.
b) Hip Hop is dominated by men and these songs and videos are their particular fantasies.
c) Most fantasies are quite derogatory no matter what your sex is.
d) Call outs should be done in private. If you want to chastise someone don't do it in a public forum and expect the outcome to be favorable. It usally isn't.

That's my social commentary for today. What everyone should really do is take heed to late, great Jermaine Stewart.

No comments: