Wednesday, October 10, 2007

So What's the Scenario?

I was on Bossip this morning and I read a little something about Lupe Fiasco which disappointed me. He was picked by Q-Tip to perform at the VH1 Hip Hop Honors, where they honored Tribe, Snoop, Whodini, Missy and New Jack Swing. It was a great show. My sweetie Tip (T.I.) rapped the brakes off of "Deep Cover". He even wore a Dickie's suit and a LA fitted. So proper and respectful. When the Tribe tribute came on Common did "Bonita Applebaum" and Pharrell and Lupe did "Electric Relaxation". Lupe fumbled on a few lines and I have to be honest, I did cringe a little bit b/c that's like one of my all time favorite songs but I wasn't through with him, just a little embarrassed for him. So imagine my surprise when I read Bossip this morning and Lupe is talking ish about Tribe. Notably that they they didn't sell alot of records and in so many words were not that influential. I try to be a fair and open -minded person, but I'm slightly disturbed by this. At some point, we have got to start respecting each other. I don't think forgetting the words to "Electric Relaxation" was disrespect like some, but I do think those comments on Bossip were straight unadulterated disrespect, through and through. I don't care if you never heard of A Tribe Called Quest in your whole life. What I do care about is that you take responsibility for forgetting the words and sitting down. All that other commentary is unnecessary. I've never net Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He was long departed when I entered the world, but I would not open my mouth to say he wasn't relevant to my life today. If music, more specifically, hip hop is your career, you should not disrespect the people that created the genre. It's just not cool. I don't care if you felt them or not. I don't care if they influenced you or not. It's disrespectful to shit on the people that came before you. Period. Just as it's not cool for Clarence Thomas to shit on Thurgood Marshall and affirmative action, it's not cool for you to shit on Tribe cuz. And just to get it straight, I'm not a hip hop elitist. I like snap music, "backpacker" rap, gansta, etc. It's all "real hip hop" to me. So Lupe, I'm not saying you aren't "real", nor I'm I saying that you are talented, but I am saying that your comments were rude and disrespectful. You may not have found Tribe relevant, however, an entire generation must have since they were honored for their contributions to the genre. And you may not know this, but when a producer is directly influenced by a particular group or style of music (as Pharrell has said he was with Tribe) and he produces a track for you, you are benefiting from the contribution that they made to the game. Just something to think about. I know this so too long, but I just love hip hop so much and I always have. And it gets so frustrating when all people do is fight and blame each other for stuff and act like babies. There are two golden rules. 1) Do onto others as you would have them do unto you and 2) Don't disrespect your elders. If you don't agree with your grandma you just nod and say yes ma'am. You can disagree in your head. I promise you'll live longer.

No comments: